Convert VCD movies to iPod with freeware
I have lots of VCD movies in my shelf. It would be nice converting these movies onto my iPod and watch them while exercising in gym. After googling how to convert the VCDs into iPod, most of the solutions were referring to non freewares (I suspect most of the replies are by the authors of those tools).
However, I don’t believe that is the only solution. Some people post it by simply renaming the .dat file to .mpg file. That is not entirely true either although pretty close.
Here is how I did it:
1. Installs Handbrake (Best tool for this job IMO)
2. Inserts the VCD and open the MPEGAV folder. Copy the .dat file to your folder.
3. Rename the file with .mpg extension
4. Uses Handbrake, open the mpg file and convert it to H.264 – use iPod profile
5. Connect your iPod & drags the new .m4v file into the iPod on iTunes
Great thing is that Handbrake is available on both Mac & Windows.
Note: I have tried dragging the renamed mpg file directly into the Library on iTunes and selected ‘Advance’ -> ‘Create iPod or iPhone version’. However, I came across problems with this method:
- could watch the movie on iPod but no audio
- some frames are corrupted